Stevia is a perennial plant with exceptionally sweet leafs that has for a long time been used as a natural sweetener. It comes from South America and is known to people for thousands of years. It is originally derived from the subtropical climate of South and Central America.
- it has zero calories
- it is sweeter than sugar (sucrose) circa 250-450 times
- soluble in water and alcohols
- can be used for cooking and baking due to the high temperature resistance
- remains stable in acid and alkaline liquids (pH 3-9)
- preserve shelf life for a long time
- because it is not a sugar it does not cause tooth decay
- safe for diabetics - does not raise blood sugar levels
- safe for people with phenylketonuria (PKU)
- does not ferment
The following are also attributed to its medicinal properties - combats fever, headaches, asthma and inflammation of the mouth.